The Fourth Industrial Revolution is clearly upon us - a new era of innovation in technology - and we are excited to keep you updated with what's new! In this monthly feature we bring you up to date on the latest resources, news and insights in the AI community. Happy Reading!
It’s August 2021 and there are over 55% more companies hiring tech talent than there were this time last year.
Hiring is getting HOT 🔥 It’s a candidate driven market where competition for top talent is stiffer than ever.
Recruiting and hiring is in fact no longer about what you want and need, it’s about what you’re willing to offer to attract the right person for your requirements. Candidates have the power now!
This brings up a new set of challenges for those looking to recruit and those who are looking for their dream AI job - trying to keep up with the endless stream of new technologies is definitely one of those. With this in mind, we have selected some AI-related news and resources for you to stay on top of emerging tech trends.
Do you want to get the most out of your podcasting experience while digging in the Artificial Intelligence world?
Add these podcasts to your weekly listening pipeline to learn from top thought leaders about the future of AI & Machine Learning!
- The Lex Friedman podcast Conversations about science, technology, history, philosophy and the nature of intelligence, consciousness, love, and power with Mr Friedman, an AI researcher at MIT and beyond. He offers regular podcasts and in-depth analysis on AI.
- Practical AI | Machine Learning & Data Science Making artificial intelligence practical, productive, and accessible to everyone. Practical AI is a show in which technology professionals, business people, students, enthusiasts, and expert guests engage in lively discussions about Artificial Intelligence and related topics. They cover topics from Women in Data Science, to Multi-GPU training to Vector Data-Bases for Machine Learning. Their awesome podcasts are (at the time of writing) roughly 3 times per month.
- Beyond The Hype: Artificial Intelligence The team at MMC interviews the world’s leading AI technologists, AI entrepreneurs and corporate executives to go ‘Beyond The Hype’ and discuss the reality of Artificial Intelligence (AI) today, what is to come, and why it matters. This fascinating podcast has been online since march 2018!
- The AI podcast from NVIDIA AI has been described as “Thor’s Hammer“ and “the new electricity.” But it’s also a bit of a mystery – even to those who know it best. We’ll connect with some of the world’s leading AI experts to explain how it works, how it’s evolving, and how it intersects with every facet of human endeavour. Check out this regular comprehensive podcast series from the pioneers of graphical processing and AI innovation.
- AI in Business The AI in Business Podcast is for functional business leaders who need to find AI opportunities, align AI capabilities with strategy and deliver ROI’. It's run twice a week by Emerj founder Daniel Faggella who ‘interviews top AI executives from Fortune 500 firms and unicorn startups - and uncovers trends, use-cases, and best practices for practical AI adoption.
Fighting Climate Change with Artificial Intelligence - What's New?
World leaders made a promise to decrease the amount of greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere. Since taking this step, they are now looking for ways to keep their promises.
The recent weather changes we’ve all been experiencing surely show what a crucial area this is to implement the most up to date, comprehensive and exciting technology there is; machine learning!
How can Artificial Intelligence combat global climate change moving forward?
And here is a very simple answer! AI can be used to analyse the data of climate change and provide us with a way to fight it. There are several ways in which AI can help us tackle this issue in depth:
🌱 - Analysing weather patterns, ocean temperatures and predicting when severe storms will occur. 🌱- Detecting forest fires before they even happen so that we could preemptively put out the fire before it spreads too far. 🌱- Monitoring water levels and providing early warning signals for floods or droughts based on changes in those levels over time.
Here are some links of interest in cutting edgeapplications of AIregarding the climate change crisis:
Top 10 books in Artificial Intelligence written by Women
Do you enjoy putting your feet up with a good book? We do!
Although women are still underrepresented in the technology industry, there are many ways to encourage them to start a Tech Career. Even though it’s impossible to list all the great books by female authors, we have tried to put together our Top Ten to help you narrow it down:
1. ‘Building blocks to life’ uncovered by Artificial Intelligence via solving protein structures
Ever since scientists began running short of experimental techniques to reveal the 3D structures of protein (the building blocks of life), they have this year succeeded in their efforts to apply this molecular deciphering algorithm to more than 20,000 known proteins. Through Artificial Intelligence.
To quote a recent article by Guardian Science correspondentNatalie Grover ‘DeepMind’s AI program, AlphaFold, has predicted the structure ofnearly all 20,000 proteins expressed by humans. In an independent benchmark test that compared predictions to known structures, the system was able to predict the shape of a protein to a good standard 95% of time.’ This could, potentially lead to new life-saving drugs according to a recent article at nextweb.com
2. Artificial Intelligence inventor listed as ‘world’s first’
The world's first AI generated invention gets a patent! According to The Global Legal Post’s reporter Victoria Basham on July 28th, ‘South Africa has become the first country to award a patent that names an artificial intelligence as its inventor and the AI’s owner as the patent's owner.’
Basham continues ‘Professor Adrian Hilton, director of the institute for people-centred AI at the University of Surrey in the UK, said the world was “moving from an age in which invention was the preserve of people to an era where machines are capable of realising the inventive step”.’
3. EU wants to regulate AI … but will it be workable?
From self-driving cars to artificial intelligence in industrial robotics and personal assistants to virtual assistants, the use of artificial intelligence in IT solutions is growing. This is why the European Parliament has just adopted a resolution to draw up a general strategy for AI advancement.
According to a recent article from europa.eu.news‘The EU is currently preparing its first set of rules to manage theopportunities and threats of AI, focusing on building trust in AI, including managing its potential impact on individuals, society and the economy. The new rules also aim to provide an environment in which European researchers, developers and businesses can thrive. The European Commission wants to boost private and public investment in AI technologies to €20 billion per year.’ However, will big time entrepreneurs and tech companies go for more regulation or just balk at it? Time will tell.
4. $1.5 billion awarded to the Pentagon for the ‘Joint Artificial Intelligence Center’ (JAIC)
At a press conference on Wednesday 28th July LLoyd Austin, U.S defence secretary reportedly said ‘China is our pacing partner’.
According to a recent article by by journalist Mila Jasper for nextgov.comAustin is quoted "I’ll have more to say about this in the weeks to come, but basically, integrated deterrence is about using the right mix of technology, operational concepts, and capabilities—all woven together in a networked way that is so credible, and flexible, and formidable that it will give any adversary pause".
Freya supports the tech talent toolbox arm of Reflection X where she is coaching technologists to achieve their full potential. With over 10 years of experience within the Tech and AI recruitment space, she has been from working closely with thousands individuals and leaders during hiring processes while partnering with very early stage start-ups all the way to some of the top AI Labs in the world.